Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 13th Sunday at the River

Today my flatmates and some of my friends went down to river that was just outside of Wellington. The swimming experience here was much more enjoyable than the beach because the hills and trees blocked the wind. The water was still freezing but I managed to jump in and swim for a bit. The water was very clear and you could see to the bottom which was pretty cool. Jennifer and I also agreed that since the water was clear you would be able to see if something was swimming after you. Jen said that she has been chased out a lake before by eels which made me want to be extra cautious when I was swimming. There was also a huge rope swing that hung out over the deeper part of the river. It was nerve racking the first time I tried it because you had to swing all the way out to the middle of the river or you would hit rocks right below you. Grabbing the rope was a chore too because the branch it was attached to protruded further off the bank. We spent a good 2 minutes each time taking a huge stick and bringing the rope back to the person who was jumping into the water. All in all it was a great way to spend a Sunday and hopefully the weather will allow us to go back soon. (My camera did not take very good pictures so hopefully I will be able to grab some from my friends in the future.)
Jenn was afraid to jump in so I had to hold her hand :)
The resolution is really bad but if you are able to see we are trying to jump off the from the rope swing. I believe my flatmate Gus had his water proof camera so he has some cool ones of us actually on the rope

1 comment: