Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 17th Cultural Differences and Catching Up!

        Before I forgot I wanted to remind myself of some of the differences in culture that New Zealand and the States has. One thing I have noticed is that students and teachers show up to class without shoes or socks. Many people here prefer to be bare foot and could pretty much go anywhere, except for bars and clubs, and not have to wear shoes. I am thinking about not wearing shoes one day to class because, since I was little it was probably a long lost dream of mine to never have to wear shoes again! I think it will be a liberating feeling.
      The other week my RA was going out to celebrate her friends 21st birthday. They are able to drink here when they are 18, however, 21st birthdays are a big deal here as well. She says that on their 21st birthday it's common that as a present their parents give them a key or a key plaque to hang up with their name engraved in it. She says that when you turn 21 its a passage into adult hood and that is what the key symbolizes.
        Another thing I have been surprised at since I have came down here is how much they resent the Australians. I think it's suppose to be a friendly stab or feud but the more I hear Kiwis talk the more they seem to not want to be associated with them. Since Australia was meant for the ostracizing of criminals Kiwis usually make fun of the ancestral background. Needless to say I have not met an Australian person in New Zealand but I have met many Europeans, Middle Easterners and Asians.
       Since I finally figured out how to keep pictures from Facebook I am finally able to add some pictures that I wanted in my blog! woo hoo!
 Scuba Diving in Fiji (Swim instructor, Mike, and Jordan)
 O'Reily's Club in Fiji (Cortland and Alex)
 Small Island in Fiji (Cortland, Kelley, Me, and Chelsey)
 New Zealand group in Fiji
 Chelsey, Jordan, and I rockin our greek letters
 This was my roommate in Fiji, Monique. She was so much fun to go out with! I was fortunate to have her as a roomie
 Julien on the rope swing at the river
 Courtesy of Alex; she got an amazing close up of the Kiwi bird! (I love this picture)
 Hugo on the swing looking like Tarzan
 Gus would hold on to the rope so long that it made me nervous he was going to fall into the rocks
 Me encouraging Jenn to jump into the water
Me on the rope swing as you can tell I didn't hold onto the rope that long..water was cold and I could barely feel my fingers haha. (I love how I still baby my right leg even when I am landing in water)

No comments:

Post a Comment