Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 6th Newtown Festival

Today my friends and I went to the Newtown Festival which is held annually on the outskirts of Wellington. There are many bands that played, many food vendors, and tons of little shops set up. They also had little mini rides and games for the kids. A lot of the vendors had homemade jams and honey for sale, as well as wool clothing, and wines. This festival is one of many free activities put on in Wellington for the public. One tent was a grade school that was selling candy apples for the Christchurch relief fund. The man selling them said that the apples were 2.50 or 3 dollars and he would throw in the kid. (There was a kid about 5 or 6 helping sale the bake goods as well; I'm guessing it was his son because they started laughing). I gave him 5 dollars but I didn't get the kid...
 It was a very cold day here...as you can tell it is overcast and rainy. About 56 degrees..the coldest it has been since I have gotten here.





 This was the main stage..there were about 4 other stages playing in the other streets. These guys were playing a lot of  Beatles songs.

 This was just Mr. Fungus and a little girl harassing people that were walking by. I guess Mr. Fungus is a children comedian and he had the girl up with him to  mirror everything he did to win a prize. The girl was spot on with the facial expressions he made. She was quite entertaining to watch.

The girl on stage has played at the Newtown Festival for 7 years now. She writes her own music and plays the guitar and piano. This was her first year playing on the main stage and she is in High school! I thought this picture was cool because this little girl came up to watch the girl perform and she sat there by herself and watched intently. The video camera was placed there by the performers Dad who use to perform with her when she was younger. It blew me away how beautiful her piano pieces were and how angelic her voice was.

1 comment:

  1. Megan maybe you should think about a job in photo journalism. You are doing an awesome job of reporting. I feel like I am there.

    ReplyDelete